Thursday, August 28, 2008

Success!


In what is becoming typical McKay fashion, little man worked his way through his first bottles today like a champ. The nurses said we should consider this a major victory and we do. It was amazing to watch him tackle this new challenge and figure it out quickly. It took a considerable amount of energy for him to accomplish as well. Apparently heart babies can actually burn more calories eating than they consume during the feeding. That's why he not only has to demonstrate an ability to consume all of his feeds for 48 hours before coming home, but also the ability to gain weight during that time frame. He was up one ounce at his weigh in tonight, so he's headed in the right direction!

We also got the all clear on McKay over sat-ing on room air. The cardiology team said that if he's oxygenating on his own at higher than expected levels, then they can live with that. I'm glad for that. Although I understand that 100 percent saturation can cause his heart to work too hard, skimming away oxygen didn't make a lot of sense to me.

The final, less medical milestone reached today was dressing McKay in clothes for the first time. He now has few enough lines and IVs that clothes are okay. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but it felt like an important step for me in making McKay feel and look like a normal baby.


I must say that seeing McKay feed and get cozy in his soft, new sleeper made me want to pack him up and take him home right then and there. For some reason that victory turned a reason to celebrate into a weepy day at the hospital for me. I don't know how families do this for weeks, even months on end. It's not only exhausting, but there is an empty feeling in our home without him here. I guess although I've always been devoted to our new addition, I have now officially fallen in love. And as love goes, the world doesn't look the same when you're separated. We pray the progress will continue to be great and the wait to be together when and where we want will be short.

6 comments:

Sara Dee said...

I love this little guy too! I just found your blog and I am so gratful I did. You have blessed my life today, I needed a reminder of what is important. Mckay is amazing, I'm so proud of him and his faithful brave parents. He is adorable too. It's the first time I have even felt a tinge of baby hunger since AJ.

Unknown said...

I am so happy for you! McKay looks great. I am sorry that our converstaion was cut so short the other night. I would have loved to chat with you a little longer. When you get a free minute give me a call. Congratulations on the progress made. I hope you can go home soon!
Lisanne

jaci said...

I just knew that he would do it!!! Yea!!! That is so great , and he looks so great! This kid is tough! I remember being able to put an outfit on Myles! It was so wonderful, they just look and feel like your baby when you get to dress them and change them! I'm thinking of you all day. I know it is hard, but you are doing such an amazing job!
Please call if I can do anything!
Love, Jaci

Kristi said...

Ok , I have been reading your daily updates and LOVING them, but have lacked any words to comment. You write so eloquently and are so inspiring that I felt that anything that I had to say would just be, well... lame. I cannot hold back any longer!

Thank you for sharing this experience. McKay is a beautiful, beautiful baby who happens to be taking you on a very memorable journey (you'll never forget HIS birth story, will you???). We pray for and love you guys very much. Good luck in the months ahead. I hope you get to take this little guy home soon....

Kimi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimi said...

I understand the clothes thing very well. It really is a different feeling than most mom's get to go through. Each of these little mile stones are extra steps most don't get to experience, and they are just as much (if not more) exciting than the normal milestones babies hit. And yes, they are also just as heartbreaking. I am so glad he is doing so well, and our prayers are still with you.