Thursday, March 5, 2009

Every Six Weeks


Every six weeks since Tyler was just four months old, we've gone for haircuts. Just as surely as the moon passes through its phases, just as reliably as winter turns to spring, my boy's hair grows and grows and grows.

I'm not complaining. We've found some truly delightful places to get their hair cut. Neighbor's basement salons, a cousin's kitchen counter top, and the mecca of fabulous children's haircuts: Cookie Cutters. I have been completely enamored of this pint-sized salon for at least three years now. We know all the stylists by name and even stopped to chat with the owner when we recognized each other in Disneyland last year. There is nothing better than having your kids beg to get haircuts and walk out feeling and looking like a million bucks with a sucker and balloon to boot.

It's been a hard sell, but we are done with our Cookie Cutting ways. My darling sister Aly is a stylist and has been insisting we bring the boys to her salon to be coiffed. Our first trip was a nightmare. The boys knocked over large art pieces into the serenity fountain below and kept talking to the not-so-amused woman on her spa day in the chair next to us. However, the manager thought us charming and we've improved our behavior with each visit. Aly now prepares for our raucous arrival with a bag of cookies from Mrs. Fields for the boys to dive into. It keeps them quiet and happy until it's their turn in the chair. Preston affectionately asks when we can next go to the "salon."

This trip was extra special as it was time to tame McKay's crazy locks. Yes, his first haircut. His super cute, sky-high mohawk has been looking not so super cute these days--more like a bad rug atop a balding foundation really. It was time to risk him looking more like a little man (they always do after those first unruly hairs are gone). He thought the entire experience rather amusing. Here's some fun pics from our first three brothers visit to the salon:



9 comments:

Sabrina said...

Boys in style! I love it! Check out that salon...so swanky!! Can't wait to come out there...if I bring the girls can we hit Cookie Cutters?!

Lisanne said...

I don't know if you have read my blog lately, but Ryan should be reading yours. Then he would see where you should go to cut your baby's hair. I tried to tell him! Give Matt a big kiss and thank him for not trying to cut your boys hair himself!
Lisanne

jaci said...

Darling boys! Look at that hair! I wish I had hair like that! They take after their gorgeous mom!
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Those are the cutest pictures and blog ever! So great to see McKay going in for a first haircut! You are the cutest mom and I love reading your blog. I can't wait for every posting! Have a great weekend!
Marshelle

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are so cute! Your boys are adorable, and McKay looks so good! That first picture with your sister cutting his hair and his cheeks is the cutest thing ever. Your blog brightens my day! I'm so glad to see McKay getting healthier and healthier with each post.

Kristi said...

SO CUTE! McKay's face in that first photo is absolutely darling. I love his chubby little cheeks.

The bonus of having girls with long hair: my 4 year old just got her first "real" haircut a few weeks ago.

Ryan & Brytten Pettit said...

Thank you for letting me sit by you today, it was nice to get to know you a little better. I hope we can get together for a more happy occassion. Take care.
HEART HUGS

Jenny said...

Those baby haircuts are so sad. It is like an initiation into toddlerness. Mason still doesn't have as much hair as McKay did when he was born but does need a trim around the ears and neck. I just can't bring myself to do it. Cute post!

Tawn said...

I love this post! It's so darling of all your boys! Thank Heaven for little boys! :)