As if you need the blow by blow, but I'm nervous, exhausted, and fidgety so you're getting an update.
McKay decided to pull an all nighter, refusing to go back to sleep after a 3am bottle. He was giddy and playful, insisting to get out of his room. The entire act would have been rather endearing had it not been the middle of the night. Alas, he won out and spent the wee hours of the morning in between Matt and me smiling at his favorite Little Einsteins while we tried to catch a bit of sleep. Little stinker. :)
We arrived bright and early this morning to check in only to find out they were redrawing our paperwork because the doctor preforming the procedure had been changed. Ummm, excuse me? Apparently the doc we had requested, the doc we had been assured through two previous phone calls from the hospital would be performing the cath on McKay changed his schedule. What to do? If we objected, we could cancel the procedure and reschedule--for over a month out because the cath lab schedule is jammed until then, or we could quickly adjust to the change in plans and go forward.
After talking with the new doc and flat out asking him about the change and why it was made, we felt just a bit better. He detailed the methodology of McKay's cath telling us that his current anatomy requires them to perform the cath through incisions in not only his leg, but his neck as well. Right now McKay just doesn't have the highways necessary to give access to all the locations they need to see during the procedure. So a double cath it is. Poor thing.
We were told they will be looking for anything "that could be making McKay so blue, so early." Right now they are about half way through the three-hour procedure and we are holding tight to the beeper that will let us know when they are ready to let us see him again.
More news soon...